03 August 2010

Hoodloupe Mag 3.0 Magnifier for Hoodman Loupe

hmag3(main)

The Hoodloupe Mag 3.0 magnifier (or Hoodmag3) is a replacement lens and eyecup for the Hoodman 3.0 loupe. It contains a 3x magnifying lens and an oversize hypo allergenic eyepiece. You remove the original eyecup by pulling it off the Hoodman loupe. The new Hoodmag3 is mounted by pushing it over the viewing end of the Hoodman loupe. The slip ring allows for diopter adjustment.


Instruction video how to attach the Hoodmag3

These are the changes of the Hoodmag3 compared to the original eyecup:

  • The view through the Hoodmag3 is enlarged three times compared to the original eyecup
  • The eyepiece of the new Hoodmag3 is larger than the original eyecup
  • No chromatic distortion in the edges of the view with the new Hoodmag3. The original lens in the Hoodman loupe has more chromatic distortion in the edges.

I am using the Hoodman loupe with the new Hoodmag3 and I like it very much. The 3x view makes it much easier to see details in the picture. I can now even see fingerprints and dust lying on the LCD screen. The new eyepiece is large enough so I can put my eyeglasses against it and look through the loupe. You can also fold it back if you need more room.

I encountered two minor problems:

  1. Diopter setting of the loupe is sometimes inadvertently adjusted while carrying the loupe. Note this is because of the way I am carrying my Hoodman loupe. If you want to know more, read my previous post  ‘How to carry your Hoodman Loupe’. You will not get this problem when you use the lanyard Hoodman supplies with the Hoodman loupe.
  2. The new eyepiece fits rather loose on the eyecup and rotates (‘large flap down’) while carrying.

I have solved these minor problems as follows:

1. Diopter setting of the Hoodman loupe
As I have described in my previous post ‘How to carry your Hoodman Loupe’ I carry my loupe with a lanyard on my belt and a piece of velcro around the diopter ring.

Hoodman Loupe Setup
Hoodman loupe with Larry Becker style lanyard attachment (see ‘How to carry your Hoodman Loupe’)

Sometimes, this causes the diopter ring to turn resulting in a blurred picture when looking through the loupe. Using the loupe on the supplied lanyard should not give these problems.

I have marked the diopter ring with some green tape. This way I can check very easily if the ring has turned away from its correct setting.

Hoodmag3 
Hoodman loupe with new Hoodmag3 3x magnifying lens and new eyepiece

The loupe is set for my eyesight when the green tab is centered.

2. New loose eyepiece
The new eyepiece turns rather easily on the Hoodmag3. While you need to turn the eyepiece from time to time (e.g. to look at portrait photos), most of the time the flap should stay to the left (I use my left eye to look through the viewfinder and loupe). Because it is too loose, the eyepiece turns when the loupe is hanging at my side from the lanyard.

In order to get some more friction I put some black tape below the eyepiece. It now takes somewhat more force to turn the eyepiece. The eyepiece stays put in the desired position, while it still can be rotated,

100803-143446_ 4433_50d
Hoodman loupe, Hoodmag3, new eyecup

I like the Hoodloupe Mag3 magnifier. You get an even better image, and eyeglass wearers can use it too. I only wished that Hoodman supplies the Hoodmag3 as a standard item, not an optional one.

My tips for Hoodman are:

  • Put a marker on the diopter ring like a white line on it, so we can check the setting!
  • How about selling the eye piece as a separate item? I am afraid I might lose mine one day.
  • Let the new eyecup rotate less easily on the eyecup

Thank you Hoodman for coming up with the Hoodloupe Mag 3.0 magnifier!




No comments:

Post a Comment